Working Holiday (Subclass 417) Visa | Best Tips

Working holiday Subclass 417 visa
Come to Australia for holiday and work

Working Holiday Subclass 417 or Working Holiday (Class TZ) (Subclass 417) visa: Who can apply

Working holiday (Subclass 417) visa allows people from the following countries to come to Australia for holiday and work:

  1. Belgium
  2. Canada
  3. Cyprus
  4. Denmark
  5. Estonia
  6. Finland
  7. France
  8. Germany
  9. Hong Kong
  10. Republic of Ireland
  11. Italy
  12. Japan
  13. South Korea
  14. Malta
  15. Netherlands
  16. Norway
  17. Sweden
  18. Taiwan
  19. UK
  20. Northern Ireland
Visa criteria and visa checklist

How do I know if I can apply

You must be aged between 18 and 30, unless you are a Canadian or Irish citizen then you must be between 18 and 35, when applying for the Working Holiday Subclass 417 visa.

You must not previously hold a Class US 462 Work and Holiday visa.

The Department of Immigration (Department of Home Affairs) may require to show you have at least $5,000 (being expenses for the first 3 months) and a return flight home.

If you wish to extend or apply for your second Working Holiday Subclass 417 visa, you must complete at least 3 months or 88 days full-time work of a specific nature and paid according to Australian workplace law in regional or country Australia (click here to learn more). However, you may only apply for one further extension or you can only hold this visa not more than twice in your lifetime. If you have applied for this visa but did not enter Australia, then this is not counted.

You can only work for 1 employer for a period not exceeding 6 months (visa condition 8547 – click here to learn more).

“Work” is defined (in reg. 1.03) as meaning an activity that normally attract remuneration. You should note that the duration of a working day in the agricultural industry generally may vary from day to day and will be dictated by a range of factors including the availability of work and weather conditions (Tsai (Migration) [2020] AATA 2809 (9 June 2020) at [25]).

Whether you are remunerated in accordance with relevant Australian legislation and awards may, in some cases, depend on your speed of picking and other factors impacting the availability of work to be done rather that being underpaid for the work performed.

Immigration lawyer in Melbourne offering free visa advice on Working Holiday Subclass 417

Can members of my family join me?

You cannot include members of your family in your Working Holiday Subclass 417 visa application – whether in a combined application or as subsequent entrants. If you have given birth in Australia, your Working Holiday visa is liable to be cancelled because the circumstances that permitted the visa grant no longer exist.

If you are applying for your first Working Holiday Subclass 417 visa, you must be outside Australia when applying. However, you can be in Australia when the visa is granted. If you are applying for your second Working Holiday visa, you can be in Australia holding another (and different) substantive visa.

Australian migration law is complex and difficult to understand, contact our immigration lawyer for a consultation (fee applies) to help you decide if this visa is suitable for you (click here to find out how an immigration lawyer or registered migration agent can help you). You may also refer to our FAQs for answers regarding visa application or visa cancellation by clicking here.

best immigration lawyer Melbourne
Immigration lawyer provide free migration advice

041 222 4020 or WeChat: AUDvisa

This article is not intended to be or taken as migration legal advice. The author of this article disclaims any liability for any action or omission on the information provided or not provided in this article. You should always consult an immigration lawyer or a registered migration agent to form an informed opinion on your immigration matter.

Related Posts