Contributory Parent (Subclass 173) Visa

Sponsoring parent to live in Australia on Contributory Parent (Subclass 173) visa
Quickest way to sponsor your parents to live in Australia

Contributory Parent (Subclass 173) Class UT Visa

Contributory Parent (Subclass 173) visa is the first stage visa for parents, regardless of their age, who are sponsored and who are willing to make a significant contribution or pay a higher visa application fee to avoid the long processing time usually associated with non-contributory parent visas.

Non-contributory parent visas are limited by annual cap or allocation. The processing or queuing time can be more than 30 years. However, the processing time for Contributory Parent (Subclass 173) visa is normally between 2.5 and 3.5 years. Click here to learn more.

This visa is valid for 2 years from the date of grant and cannot be renewed. If granted the temporary Contributory Parent (Subclass 173) visa, your parent is expected to apply for the permanent Contributory Parent (Subclass 143) visa (click here to learn more about Subclass 143 visa). This allows you or your parent to spread the contribution or visa application fees over 2 years.

You can sponsor your parent, regardless of age, for Contributory Parent Class UT Subclass 173 visa if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident or an eligible NZ citizen who have lived in Australia for at least 2 years (“settled”).

Balance of Family test

Balance of Family test

In order to apply for Contributory Parent (Subclass 173) visa, at least half of your siblings must normally live permanently in Australia. However, your siblings do not include deceased siblings or siblings removed from your parents’ exclusive custody through court order, adoption or operation of law or under UNHCR protection or it is impossible to reunite your siblings with your parents due to human rights persecution or siblings born out of polygamous or concurrent relationship.

Contribution for Contributory Parent Subclass 173 visa

How much is the contribution?

At the time of lodging the visa application, the first visa application charge or fee is $2,595 for the main applicant and $1,300 for all 18+ over secondary applicants.

Before the Department of Immigration (Department of Home Affairs) grant the visa, your parent will be required to pay a second visa application charge or fee (contribution) of $29,130 for each applicant. Visa application charges or fees are usually revised on 1 July.

If your parent lodged a valid application for a Contributory Parent (Subclass 173) visa in Australia, the Department of Immigration will not usually grant a Bridging Visa (click here to learn more about Bridging Visas) to allow him or her to stay in Australia while the application is being processed.

Australian migration law is complex and difficult to understand, contact our immigration lawyer for a consultation (fee applies) to help you decide if you are eligible to sponsor your parent (click here to find out how an immigration lawyer or registered migration agent can help you). You may also refer to our FAQs for answers regarding visa application or visa cancellation by clicking here.

best immigration lawyer Melbourne
Immigration lawyer provide free migration advice

041 222 4020 or WeChat: AUDvisa

This article is not intended to be or taken as migration legal advice. The author of this article disclaims any liability for any action or omission on the information provided or not provided in this article. You should always consult an immigration lawyer or a registered migration agent to form an informed opinion on your immigration matter

Related Posts